This blog is a companion to the Database of Volunteers of Essendon and Flemington

Monday, December 13, 2010

"I was thinking of home at the last"

"Going into action tomorrow.  I shall be among the first fifty  to land.  This will probably prove to be one of hardest fights in history. We land under fire.  Perhaps long before you get this you will have read all about the fight and the result. I wrote this last note so that you should see I was thinking of home at the last.  Whatever happens you may be confident that I shall do my job properly.  The boys are singing away, just as if nothing was about to happen.  I'll go and join them.  Hope you are all well and happy.  Don't worry about me".

479 Pte Charly Bale, Napier St, Essendon, 24 April 1915


What happened to Charly Bale?

No comments:

Post a Comment